Thursday, April 7, 2011

Our First "Brewery-Sized" Batch


We brewed a 15-bbl batch of Belgian Pale Ale today with our friends at Highlands Brewery in Kirkwood, MO. Head Brewer, Dave Johnson, guided us through the nuances of their system and treated us to a great time.

This beer should be interesting, as it is brewed mostly with American malt and hops, but fermented with a nice, spicy Belgian Saison yeast strain. We will also dry hop this beer with West Coast hops to give it a unique floral character--we're not quite sure if the Belgians will approve of this one!

We will be entering this beer in upcoming festivals including Microfest, The Wine and Cheese Place BeerFest, and the Brewer's Heritage Festival.



1 comment:

Chris said...

Where can I get some? Phil, I'd like to grab lunch with you some time soon. I've been meaning to for awhile now, but I've just been busy. I started a church just a few blocks from the brewery a little over a year ago. I was so excited when I heard you guys were coming to the neighborhood. I'll send you a Fbook message and see if we can set something up. Congrats on your first brewery sized batch!